Some days ago I posted two pictures of what I thought were “Flycatchers” of some kind building a nest in our birdhouse but now there is a “Robin” nesting in it. What happened? I have no idea if the original nest builders vacated voluntarily or, if these Robins just took over and evicted those birds. It’s a mystery to me. However, there are a lot of Robin birds in the area. Often they sit on the fence to rest and then we watch them as they take a bath in the birdbath right next to other birds drinking from it. So obviously, they have no manners. But we love them nevertheless!
Now I will continue from my previous post.
The next morning, after the gravel bed posts had enough time to have cured in the cement (the Quikrete is some kind of Portland cement I found out) foundation and for our tired joints to recuperate, Benno got to work on the frame. Basically, four of the planks we had purchased were bolted to the posts after being cut to the exact lengths. It looks simple, but it takes some time if you want to be precise to have them equally level because the ground is not. For the planks to sit level he had to dig out grass sods from underneath to make everything fit. Nothing is ever easy!
When that was done out came the Makita Saw All. In no time at all Benno cut off the posts to make them level with the planks. I painted the stumps with a protective coat of the green wood preservative and distributed all the leftover sand/gravel from the three pails we got the other day underneath the cavities of the wooden planks. Then we collected the dug out grass sods and added them to the other pile of clay waiting to be disposed of.
This morning, after learning that we might be getting some rain in the afternoon and plenty more tomorrow, we decided it would be a good day to order some gravel/sand mixture. Our trusted contact, Jim, from Ciliska Excavating, did another prompt and super service by coming by with his big backhoe to drop off two full buckets of that gravel/sand. He does such a precise job that the raking of the pile went easy. Now we have a sandbox!
It turned out to be a much better day than predicted with a temperature of 26C/79F so I spent a few hours pulling weeds from the driveway until my back told me to go inside to rest. This evening we got that promised rain and that will pack the gravel/sand nicely down. We will let that settle for a few weeks before we are going to add more gravel to the top.
I hope I don’t tire everyone with my account of the building of the future shed, but that is what is going on in our lives for the moment. Stay tuned…