This was our 2013 Jayco Flight Swift 198 RD

THIS WAS OUR 2013 JAYCO FLIGHT SWIFT 198RD, PARKED AT THE TOMBSTONE TERRITORIES RV PARK IN ARIZONA



Wednesday 5 December 2018

My trip to Germany

Last weekend I returned home from Germany. It is a long flight, as a matter of fact three flights for me. I flew from Windsor Ontario to Montreal, Quebec, then on a Boing 777 plane onto Zurich, Switzerland and from there on to Hamburg, Germany. The Transatlantic flight is 7,200 kilometers (4500 miles) and lasts 7 to 8 hours depending which direction the flight is. From Hamburg Airport I took two train rides and for the final stretch a taxi ride to my Mom’s house.  The time difference is 6 hours ahead in Germany. If you are wondering, yes, I was jetlagged both ways for several days until my body adjusted. My return flight I had booked from Hamburg to Munich, Germany and again on a Boing 777 plane to Toronto, Canada. For my flight to Windsor I had to wait at the Toronto airport 4-1/2 hours for the Puddle Jumper, as there were no other flights available. Once everyone was onboard the plane sat on the tarmac for 30 minutes before we got the ok for takeoff.  I guess the Airports are over capacity at certain times.  Needless to say I was so happy when Benno picked me up in Windsor and very tired when I finally got home.

The month of November is usually very wet and overcast in Northern Germany so I knew already what to expect. The sun peaked out so very little that I mostly missed its appearance, but we had a lot of the liquid kind. My Mom (91 years young) needed some assistance with bureaucratic paperwork, appointments and general runaround arrangements of various sorts that kept us busy. Mom doesn’t drive anymore so even getting groceries or other shopping becomes difficult for her. She uses a walker when outside and there are no stores close by her home which is located in a very nice subdivision with beautiful parks. She made arrangements to have a hot meal delivered once a day after my departure so she doesn’t have to cook a dinner for herself, with the exception if the feels like eating something else than what was brought. 

Mom lives in a small town close to the city of Hansestadt Stade.  A few days before my departure to Canada, the Christkindle Bazaar in Stade set up its booths and displays. Some snow and lit Christmas lights would have enhanced the ambiance, but when we went in the morning to have a look, it drizzled with a temperature of about 2+C. There were not too many people out in the pedestrian zone and the ones we encountered hurried on to warmer and drier places. Nevertheless, here are some pictures I took with my iPad.
















The inner harbour downtown


There is a lot I have to catch up to back home. You won’t believe how much the puppies have grown up since I last wrote in this blog.  Next update will be pictures of them for all the Dachshund lovers out there. So stay tuned.

7 comments:

  1. So nice to hear from you about your trip to Germany. Your Mom is indeed blessed to have you come home and help her get things settled. Nice that meals are prepared and delivered to her. Peace of mind for you, I'm sure. I'm sure Benno and the 'kids' were happy to see you as much as you them. The kids needed you home to lay down the law of curfews etc. :)Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea how happy all of us were when I walked in ;-)

      Delete
  2. Glad you were able to help your mother with all the Paper Work and that you are now Safely Home.
    We are certain that Benno and the Pups are also glad to see you.
    Enjoy your time Home.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Help was needed for a lot of things. Above all, I think, emotional support made a difference.

      Delete
  3. So nice that you able to be there for your MOM, and get things straightened out for her. Love you pictures and welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have brought a camera for pictures, but I guess everyone got an idea of what it looked like over there. In the summertime everything looks better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home. Take all the time you need to catch up on everything.

    ReplyDelete