This was our 2013 Jayco Flight Swift 198 RD

THIS WAS OUR 2013 JAYCO FLIGHT SWIFT 198RD, PARKED AT THE TOMBSTONE TERRITORIES RV PARK IN ARIZONA



Saturday 30 September 2023

Great weather to start October

 



I’ll be sure to plant green beans again next year.

In May of this year I planted three different types of tomatoes, two zucchini, two yellow peppers and one small green bean plant, all in pots sitting on a sloped retaining wall facing south. What surprised me is that the tiny green bean plant produced so many beans all summer long although it is plagued by grasshoppers, snails and I assume earwigs at night. 




The tomatoes were great and I had more than we could consume on a daily base so I froze plenty after making tomato sauce from them. The zucchini are still growing too, but not as fast as they did during July and August. Perhaps I give up on the peppers because they were late and are so plentiful, huge, plump and inexpensive in the stores that it seems almost a waste of my effort for me to grow them. Besides I never had much luck with red ones. 



Many of my flowers are done blooming for the season but there is still some colour in my flower beds and with the hot weather we are having at the moment, maybe we get to enjoy them a bit longer.






Benno had been happy that we had some cooler temps that made working in the boat so much easier. He did a lot of electrical work with hookups and rewiring. We took off the fabric ceiling material as many of the wires are now running there. They will be hidden under a false ceiling and Benno finished the strapping already. Maybe you noticed, but the two vertical supports between the front windows are a bit bigger now. Inside are six wire cables in the right one and 4 (so far) in the left running down to the breakers underneath the steering console. Just like I mentioned, cables will be hidden.










Our last trip to the Toronto area netted Benno some round 3 inch long 1-3/4 stainless steel round bar pieces from the Metal Supermarket. Last week he manufactured on his lathe five covers from this 316 grade stainless steel, which are installed over now obsolete thru hull holes on the starboard site of the hull. The idea was to close those holes without major wood/paint work and this way thru hulls can be reinstalled if the need arises.





I did some more painting with the brown/beige Epoxy paint on the shelves behind the helm man’s  seat. Benno is building a cabinet on top of it that required him to remove a small support using a chisel and flex grinder. Not an easy job!




Btw, in my last post I mentioned my technique of varnishing. It was taught to me by a Danish Shipwright when our sailboat “Najade” was being built and the wood used was white Oak. The way he showed me was that when using Oak (not all wood types need this) The first coat of varnish is being thinned down 50% with Mineral Spirit. It brings out the grain that can be scraped off with the metal scraper when the paint is dry. Then the next coat can be sanded lightly and if needed scraped again to take off any dust particles. After the final coat is dry the varnish is rubbed down with extra fine (0000 steel wool and 3-in-one oil) to give it a satin finish. To note, never insert your painting brush/foam/roller into the paint can as it will jell up over time. I use a coffee scoop and a plastic container from which I paint. The same goes for any other paint if you want it to last longer.





Aside from the ongoings in the boat, Benno decided he will relocate the VHF antenna from the deck to the little stub mast and therefore the present cable will be too short for that. However it is long enough to hook up the antenna if mounted to the roof of his shop to the VHF radio mounted inside his shop. He has a 12V power supply there anyway. Now if working in there he can listen to the VHF traffic on Lake Erie ;-)





I think I stop for now for this post or it will be overload. See you next time on this blog. Thanks for stopping by.




18 comments:

  1. Great catch-up post Marlene, you garden is still looking lovely and I'm happy for your vegetable "plenties". I may have to try a few things in pots this fall. Yay, more Benno updates - his work is really meticulous and the boat (yacht) is going to be gorgeous. So funny about the VHF install in the workshop to listen for traffic. We have Ham friends that are still avid post cruising. Enjoy your fall and hope to see you this winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, after all those years on the water, working and condo living I find garden work relaxing and there is so much to learn about it. Benno enjoys this kind of work and we hope it will be rewarding.

      Delete
  2. Your garden is just spectacular, in spite of the creepy crawlies. I know I've said this before, but I can't believe how Benno can fix so much stuff so easily. I guess it's experience .. but he sure does a fabulous job!! And your varnishing work ... doing it "right" makes a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes he can do fabulous things! I don't mind painting and glad the varnishing technique was taught to me.

      Delete
  3. Your garden did awesome! I have to make some changes with my potted vegetables for next year. Have a better idea from K & K. :) Peppers didn't do so well, I think I have ended up with a total of 4 altogether. Tomatoes were better but maybe I'll do the cherry tomatoes as well as a bigger variety. I never get 'beefsteak' size even when i buy that brand. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the hot temperatures we got down here, plus the south exposure with so much sun and lots of watering had something to do with it.

      Delete
  4. Looks like we might still have a few more growing days for your garden to give you more produce.
    Benno is still fine tuning the boat and doing a masterful job of it.
    Be Safe and Enjoy this beautiful weather.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we will have a good October and usually at this time we get the Indian summer weather. I certainly don't complain about it. Benno said thank you.

      Delete
  5. You two never ever stop doing 'something'. Your garden certainly did produce for you. Aren't those fresh beans just the very best. Our girls loved eating them raw. The boat is coming along, I bet you have already planned your first voyage. Love all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Contessa the voyage is planned. However, it is still a long time off as so much more work has to be done.

      Delete
  6. Above comment by Contessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it was you posting. Who else has girls eating raw veggies?

      Delete
  7. The skills required to build that boat absolutely amaze me. Great job hiding that wiring. I had never heard of that method of varnishing, ver interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, building a house is easier and faster in most cases. Jim take a piece of wood and try my method of varnish refinishing, then tell me what you think.

      Delete
  8. Long time reader but first time commenting. I live in Colorado and we grew bell peppers too. I said the same thing you did to my husband last week. They took so long to change color and grow that next year we won’t plant them. I can get them cheap enough at the store. Our tomatoes were plentiful too and I have a freezer full of sauce as well. We had pumpkins last year but not this year. I missed them and the bees they attract. I think I’ll grow them again next year. Anyway, love your blog! ColoradoGirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted to hear you've read my blog postings. Thanks. With gardening it's a learning curve and I haven't had much practise but I'm trying. So rewarding when you eat something you grew, isn't it.

      Delete
  9. Your flowers are beautiful but I must say my favorite picture was of the little blue spruce back in June. I do not understand anything about the boat build but it sounds like Benno really knows his stuff and the two of you are willing to tackle anything. The information about the surplus RV warehouse in White Pigeon is certainly going in the book. Thanks for that information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little blue spruce has done well over the summer. Will take another photo next year. If any repairs are needed for the RV the surplus warehouse is worth checking out.

      Delete