This was our 2013 Jayco Flight Swift 198 RD

THIS WAS OUR 2013 JAYCO FLIGHT SWIFT 198RD, PARKED AT THE TOMBSTONE TERRITORIES RV PARK IN ARIZONA



Saturday 14 September 2024

Mid September happenings

After two days of fall like weather temperatures, summer has returned to our area here in southern Ontario. That gave us a chance to enjoy a few more evenings on the deck without wearing jackets and for the most part it was bug free.


While I was hunting for some interesting photo opportunities in my garden to post in my blog, I came upon this creature and I don’t know what it is, but hope it will transform itself into something more handsome than its present state. There are also an abundance of grasshoppers around eating holes into the leaves of my plants, but it’s useless trying to shoo them off.




And then I came upon this photo on the Internet which made me chuckle and so I thought I better change the subject of garden creatures and such and talk about other things going on around here.




We had more visitors! Last winter we dropped in to see Barb and Chuck in Tucson, Arizona. They are cruising friends from our time with “Diesel Duck”. You can read about that post here.  Barb sent me a message that she would be helping her girlfriend Jeri to drive her camper van from Maine to Missoula, Montana. They would be driving through Ontario with a stopover to see friends in Napanee (close to the northern part of Lake  Ontario) and then head towards the US border in Windsor. So of course we offered them to come for a visit and spend the night here before continuing their journey. 


Barb


Barb and Jeri


Jeri’s husband fitted out this RAM 2500 ProMaster van into a comfortable camper van that Jeri and Barb were happy to stay in. We wish them a continuous safe trip.


Jeri's Camper Van


At the boat refit progress, I’m holding off with photos of the forward cabin until the dresser/cabinet is close to finish. Last week we purchased a piece of solid surface, cut and polished made for us by "Designer Countertops" here in Leamington that is the top part of the cabinet and now Benno is working on the trim around it. For the trim we needed more wood that we got from "The Wood Mill" in Windsor and that they milled down for us. It is 2 boards of excellent 98x10x2” quality “Sapele” wood. Part of the wood Benno cut and routered into long edge moldings which I then varnished. The rest of it will be used to build cabinet door frames etc.


Two large pieces of Sapele wood





While we were in Windsor I went to the Fabricland store and bought material that I intent to use to cover the V-berth mattresses with. There are two sections to the mattress. A while back Benno made an insert for the top of the V-berth so it closes the gap between the two mattresses but it needed a cushion. There was a seat in the forward cabin that we eliminated by building this dresser/cabinet. I used the rectangular seat cushion to cut the foam with a bread knife into a trapetze size form to fit the insert and plan on making new covers with the new material I bought. That will be a big project to come for me.


The wood inseert


Seat cushion


I cut the 5inch foam with a bread knife


Foam cut to size and the Dacron glued back on for tight fit


About 11 meters of new material


So we keep being busy doing things for the hobby boat and around the house and property. 


Thanks for dropping in again

8 comments:

  1. Glad you are still making progress on the Boat Refit.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to stay busy and nice to have a variety of projects to work on as well. Glad you got a visit in with Barb & Co.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We enjoyed Barb and Jeri's company. You are welcome too!

      Delete
  3. I had to laugh at that photo ... yup us old folks are out in the garden photographing insects!! LOL. You guys amaze me every time with the progress on your boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems gardening etc. is an age thing and I don't think teenagers or young adults are willingly offering their help pulling weeds or are curious what crawls in the yard.

      Delete
  4. That is a strange creature, just don't touch it, some yellow and black ones are questionable.
    I like that poster too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, some creatures out in my garden I just let be.

      Delete