If you are interested in the ongoing saga of the boat engine we had ordered back last fall, it finally has come.
The spring delivery of the Beta Kubota Diesel Engine for our pocket trawler finally materialized. Last Thursday we were notified that the engine had arrived at the Toronto Pearson Airport. As we learned later, it had been here already a few days but paperwork had not been processed until then. Of course we sprang into action, because of the looming weekend traffic to Toronto and extra storage fees if not picked up hurried us up. Benno had wanted to rent an open utility trailer to pick it up and to bring it into his workshop, but on this short notice all rental places were out of them, so we went with our pickup truck early Friday morning to Toronto. The 401 Highway (a road like the interstate highways in the US) is always busy and on weekends people head out of town on to the 401 which could turn into a parking lot, so to speak. By golly, we were lucky to slip through in good time.
The distributor through which we are purchasing this engine gave us instructions where to go to pick up the shipment and we found it no problem. Actually it was good that we took the truck because the engine was packed well in a wooden box and mounted onto a pallet, was brought by a forklift from the warehouse and dropped onto our truck bed. A utility trailer would have maybe not worked out so well.
Because we were underway just around noontime to head back home, we were avoiding most of the weekend traffic and encountered no delays. However the other direction of the highway was not so lucky and had long lines of congestion because there were reduced lanes because of road works and experienced a fair amount of some stop and go.
We were pulling off the highway in Tilbury for our homestretch to Leamington; and swung by a U-Haul rental place to inquire if they had a utility trailer. As luck would have it, they just got one and the people who just dropped it off were still standing in the office right in front of me. They were Americans and the utility trailer had a Texas license plate. It had come a long way here, but it was the right trailer just for us.
|Beta Engines usually come in red & dark green color, |
but a boat show special offered white paint at no extra cost
(we like white as any oil or diesel leak will be immediately spotted)
Back at home Benno opened the box to inspect our engine and then parked the truck and utility trailer for the night. Next morning Benno drove over to Paul, a friend in the neighborhood, who has an industrial type gantry at his large garage/workshop. No problem using that hoist to lift the just 364 pound engine off the truck. We then positioned the utility trailer under the hoist and positioned our moving dolly (a US Harbor Freight special) on the utility bed. Once the engine was lowered Benno secured it to the tie hooks of the trailer.
Back at home Benno used our lawn tractor to maneuver the utility trailer in front of his workshop so the trailer gate lined up with the shop doorsill. It was then an easy job to roll the engine into the shop. Voila!
In the meantime Benno modified the wooden crate to a smaller configuration to fit through the boat’s door but a few parts have to be disconnected for the move. It will be a little while until the engine will see the inside of the boat, as there are few other jobs ahead of it.
Thanks for taking an interest in this endeavour and dropping in!
Another step closer to completing your project.ReplyDelete
A clean engine is always nice to work with.
Be Safe and Enjoy the next stage.
It's about time.
There will be lots more steps...Delete
Wow,Benno really thought each step through to safely handle the engine’s weight.Looking forward to the installation but I’ sure he has that well prepped.Thank you for sharing with us & all the best. A JamesReplyDelete
Thanks. When the time comes I will post some photos of the install.Delete
I always marvel at Benno's projects and thought process as to what needs to be done and how to do it. Looking forward to the install of the new motor.ReplyDelete
The actual install should be easy, its all those preps and changes that take a lot of work and reconfiguration. He loves it.Delete
I am just amazed at your ingenuity! My first thought was "how are you going to get that out of the truck!!" You certainly answered THAT question! It's a beauty!!!!ReplyDelete
There was no heavy lifting done and we don't plan any if it can be avoided.Delete
Yay! Very happy the Kubota made it there safely, and great job on the staging aspects of things. Nice job on the photos, too. Glad you could get white, it really helps (seeing issues) and just plain looks nice.ReplyDelete
We had our doubts about the arrival of the engine and almost cancelled the order. Thanks about our color choice.Delete
Woo hoo! That is a big step! I was wondering how he was going to get it out of the back of the truck. Nice to have friends!ReplyDelete
We were happy our friend could help out otherwise we may have had to pay for someone to do it.Delete
Wow quite the engine. Kudos to Benno on his genius method of getting the engine where he wanted it to be.ReplyDelete
Ok thanks about the kudos, but it really is no big deal to move this engine around. Stay tuned for the actual putting it where it should be.Delete
I can't say anything that hasn't already been said but my goodness, between you and Benno, things are well-planned and get done easily without 'any harm coming to any of the participants'. Ha ha, had to say that! Great looking engine!ReplyDelete
Thanks. You know Benno and his ways of doing things so it was just another job/chore and the next move is already planned out. ;-)Delete