This was our 2013 Jayco Flight Swift 198 RD

THIS WAS OUR 2013 JAYCO FLIGHT SWIFT 198RD, PARKED AT THE TOMBSTONE TERRITORIES RV PARK IN ARIZONA



Sunday 21 May 2023

Strange things I don't know how to fix yet on this blog

I hope you missed me as it has been a while since I last posted. We are well and all is good. However, that was not the case with my old MacBook Pro laptop. Would you believe I purchased it in 2012 and it had been a wonderful tool all these years. Unfortunately, lately it did not open certain websites, could not be updated anymore and the lithium battery got very hot when it was being charged. It was time to look at a replacement. This post comes to you from my new 13” MacBook Air, M2 chip. 

 



Let me tell you I had no idea what a learning experience awaited me to start using this new laptop. We use iPads and iPhones as well and after a dozen years with Apple I thought how difficult could it be to use a new device from Apple. Ha, I had to say goodbye to “Word” the writing program I used for decades because I am not willing to dish out $$ for a new version. Also I had to say goodbye to iPhoto and Picasa which had been my tools I used for this blog. There were other applications that are no longer working or are different on this new Mac, but those are minor compared to the above. So new apps replace those lost and I am trying to learn and master them. Life is a learning curve!

 

This Clematis I was going to throw away last fall, so I cut it down to the ground. This is all new growth this spring 

 If you have a garden, you can understand that I had to spend quite a bit of time in the past weeks working on the garden beds planting new flowers, weeding and adding more soil. Again, as I did in previous years, I prepared pots and planted various types of tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, onions and herbs. It is disappointing for me to find that some perennials that were purchased last year did not survive this winter. Perhaps there were too many temperature fluctuations or the zoning was not correct. Oh well.


 




 

Benno was not spared with a problem of his own as he discovered that on the warmest day the air-conditioning on our truck stopped working. Of course we hoped it was the serpentine belt or only the loss of freon, but no, we needed a new compressor installed and since last year those had doubled in price. Ouch! Presently he is reinstalling the anchor winch that he dismantled and serviced on the boat and the same goes for the Webasto hot air heating unit. Also he switched batteries between the boat and the travel trailer. Benno is considering to change the guts of the trailer’s converter charger part over or replace it, that it could charge beside wet cell and AGM batteries future Lithium ION or Sodium ION batteries too. He likes to go Lithium ION or Sodium ION in the near future and the converter is the first step, followed by a DC to DC isolator charger to protect the towing vehicle. This will involve some wiring too. The trailer’s solar panels controller can handle Lithium and need only a program selection! Apparently Lithium ION and Sodium ION batteries have the same charging parameters.

In the house we made a few improvements with added LED lamps in the shower unit, cutting and installing new curtains in the living room and hanging a new picture.


 

 


Last but not least we enjoyed another visit from my sister and brother-in-law and at those occasions our travel trailer doubles as a guest suite. While we were all out for a stroll in the neighbourhood, I showed them the goldfish that were having a feeding frenzy in the Lake Erie runoff creek. I have no idea what they were after.











 

So I hope future blog updates will go smoothly.

 

Thanks for reading my blog!


12 comments:

  1. Your gardens and lawn are looking good. I hate loosing programs that I am familiar with on my computer. That learning curve can be frustrating.
    It's good to hear that Benno is working on the boat again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and yes sometimes change is not welcome. Now that it is warmer working inside the boat is nicer.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you and Bill that our computer updates etc. can be so infuriating. Good luck and yes we missed you. ❤️
    I'm thinking i should revert to planting my veggies in pots too. The garden up on the hill is so rocky, the tomatoes and peppers have not produced well for a few years. If we could afford to do a raised bed, i would but it's not in the cards yet. Would you recommend the pots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The changeover with my computer certainly has not been easy. Yes, I would recommend planting the veggies in pots. Make them large enough with good dirt. Position the tomatoes when they are sheltered from the wind and rain but get south exposure, preferably along the shed etc. and give them support as they grow up.

      Delete
  3. Your additions to your yard and Benno's steps/porch look so inviting. I love the clematis and the bicycle! As far as "productivity" programs I hear you - we don't buy those either. I have found, however, that the open source freeware "Libre Office" is very intuitive and if you had some mastery of word or spreadsheets you will find it an easy transition. Yes, we've missed you too, and hope to see (on the blog) more of your smiling faces and lovely gardens. Hugs all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The bike is from Hobby Lobby ;-) I will look into what free software is available for my Mac. For the time being these new ones are somewhat workable but not ideal. It sure takes up my time to fumble through all the changes.

      Delete
  4. Your yard always looks so beautiful. Sorry to hear about your MacBook because that's what I have ... and I think it's a 2012 also. It's just SO hard to give it up. I downloaded Firefox because Safari is too old to use with some of my banking apps. Gosh I hate to get another one ... SO pricey!! I use Pages and Numbers, but it's definitely NOT the same. Good luck figuring it out. I know you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes, I had been using Safari but lately could not comment on some Blogger posts. Even now on my own it does not recognize my Google account on this Mac so I downloaded Google Chrome which I am using now. Maybe I should download Pages and give it a try.

      Delete
  5. It does not matter the type of Battery you have, but when the charge, they all get hot. I think we'll just stick to our Windows computers and AGM Batteries.
    As long as the roots of your perennials are deep, they will survive the fluctuating temperatures the winter brings.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. As to the lithium battery in the Mac it had always been warm when charging but lately it got really, really hot. I think if updates are done on a regular bases on the computer, changes are not so drastic but ours would not update anymore and some websites just would not work at all.

      Delete
  6. I don't have the patience to learn a new software system. We switched from iPhones to Androids last year and that was painful enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure takes some of my time to learn and to get comfortable with those new apps when I could be doing something better!

      Delete