This was our 2013 Jayco Flight Swift 198 RD

THIS WAS OUR 2013 JAYCO FLIGHT SWIFT 198RD, PARKED AT THE TOMBSTONE TERRITORIES RV PARK IN ARIZONA



Monday 31 October 2022

I’m no sissy!

So its spooky and scary night again, called Halloween and mountains of candy and chips are being handed out tonight to kids dressed up in costumes. Such a nice tradition we knew nothing of when we came to Canada from Germany many moons ago. We don’t have many kids living in our neighborhood, but I’m prepared and any leftovers will disappear in no time at our house, I’m sure.

This Halloween photo was sent to me by my friend Linda
"We Two Travellers Living the Life"

Yesterday I had a restless night and the night before as did Reggy.  A couple of weeks or so ago I noticed that he had a kind of pimple/bump on top of his tail. I applied a Tropical Corticosteroid cream on it, but it didn’t help. Last Friday we made the trip to the veterinarian hospital and their two staff doctors took a look at it and performed a microscopic exam for cancer, which was negative. Reggy got an injection against infections and a Tropical Antibiotic/Corticosteroid gel was prescribed. He got to wear a cone around his neck to prevent him from licking the affected area for the next two weeks. Well, that didn’t go well at all. 

 


Reggy had not one minute of rest in his crate with the cone bumping around and his whining, scratching and hyperventilating became intolerable. He ended up in our bed for the remainder of the night. The next day I put a panty (Elsa’s old panty from the time before she was spayed) on him and sewed an old sock around the tail opening and therefore preventing him from licking his tail. That worked for the day, but at night the same thing of restlessness, romping, whining and hyperventilating until I took him out and into our bed. I’m sure the steroids are causing this and so I might discontinue this treatment. 

 


It being already the end of October, Benno winterized the travel trailer just because we don’t want to be caught by an unexpected frost until we head south. He drained the hot water tank, plus the hot and cold water pipes and then he put non-poison antifreeze solution into the hot and cold water pipe circuit using the from the factory build in winterizing provision. If we have to leave during frost we’ll flush the toilet with windshield washer solution and take bottled water for washing and cooking along until we are out of the freezing area.

 


Last Monday we again made the trip across the St Clair River to the “United States of America” to Algonac, Michigan with another lovely ferry ride to pick up the PSS shaft seal that had arrived. We were lucky to have another beautiful sunny and calm day for that ride. Benno was eager to get on with the final installation and wasted no time to remove the propeller shaft from the Aqua Drive so he could get at it the job to slip the PSS Shaft Seal over the shaft. The drive shaft with the CV joints had to be disconnected too, to be able to get to the six socket head bolts for the final mounting and tightening of the propeller shaft. After the propeller shaft was pushed back into the Aqua Drive the PSS Shaft Seal got mounted properly and final. (I bet you all needed to know this in detail, right? ;)) 









In the instruction for tightening the bolts on the Aqua Drive there were several sequences of different torque settings to do. However, there were no suggestions given of how to prevent the shaft from rotating while torqueing. So Benno thought that if he put the old four blade 20-inch propeller back onto the shaft, I could stand underneath the boat holding the propeller while he would go through the sequence of torqueing. Well, that is easily thought, but although I am no “Sissy”, have you ever tried to hold a propeller while sets of each 10 and 30 and 60 newton-meter are being applied to six 10mm socket head bolts by a guy using a big 2ft torque wrench? Just before he finished the first bolt on the last sequence I had to holler to stop as my muscles were screaming and my feet were leaving the ground. In the end Benno wedged a piece of 4x4 wood between ground and one propeller blade to stop the propeller from turning and we finished that task, thank goodness! I still have muscle ache from that undertaking!

 


Thanks for dropping in again and do spoil the little “trick or treat” munchkins!



16 comments:

  1. I for one am interested in the details so thank you for including them! When and where do you think you will head south?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to have you appreciate the technical info :) Perhaps we'll leave by the end of the month and try Ocala again. We'd planned an extensive trip outwest but maybe next year.

      Delete
  2. The installation is really professional. Sorry for your aching muscles, the 4x4 was definitely the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and yes you know Benno. Hey, it was great to test my abilities!!

      Delete
  3. It amazes me every time you post info like that. Just being able to describe it is fascinating! And such a professional job!! It's going to be so fun when you take it out for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should write a manual? ;-) Hopefully I have something else to write about this month!

      Delete
  4. Great work, those PSS shaft seals are the way to go. The pic's will be invaluable for "documenting" the install. Poor Reggie, hope his misery is over soon and you can get a good night's sleep. I never would have thought about the necessity of using windshield washer fluid for travelling in the frozen lands. Hope to see you down this way again soon'ish! Thanks for posting your "doings".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We agree, had the PSS shaft seal on DD. Haha frozen land, as of now and next week we are as warm as Las Vegas, I think. I'm in shorts!

      Delete
  5. Regie might like sleeping in your bed so much that he'll continue whining even after he has healed.
    That is quite the task to complete the installation. Glad you accomplished it Safely.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you guess it. Reggy is pretending/trying every night so see if he can get away with it, but I'm not going for it. Benno just loves to do those tech installs etc.

      Delete
  6. I just love that Halloween photo. Aww poor Reggy. Great idea sewing the sock to the panty. Hope he gets well very soon for all of your sakes. Great work on the engine. Contessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment I'll pass it on to Benno. Reggy still has a problem, but we are on it.

      Delete
  7. I also love the Hallowe'en decoration! They did awesome!
    Poor Reggie. I hope it is better soon, just glad it isn't the C word. ♥As for the technical install, you lost me at PSS Shaft Seal but I'm very proud of how you can hold your own and assist in all the right places! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The C word is going around all over I heard. Well about the technical there are some readers that were interested but I'll try to keep it more general now.

      Delete
  8. I am reading and catching up even though I do not understand the technical stuff I hear in the writing you guys are making progress. I would agree you are not a sissy.. :)
    Glad to read the ferry is running again. The Algonac area is pretty and when that State Park was our closest stay to our kids we always enjoyed the ride through there. Which was a good thing because we would make it twice a day...lol I would agree even if the ferry has the right away the size of those Lakers trumps that any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might as well include a little bit of Benno's hobby project here in this blog, as there are some readers out there that find it interesting. As to the Algonac area, I agree it is very nice and the ferry had just been in service for a short time when we crossed.

      Delete